A broken throttle cable does not let the mower work efficiently and your dream of flaunting a pristine lawn goes haywire. You may own a huge lawn or a small yard. But if the mower gets damaged then it is a pain to book an appointment with an expert to get the mower repaired while in the meantime you feel completely handicapped not being able to do anything about your overgrown and shabby lawn.
Save yourself from this trouble and also save some money by taking out time to learn how to fix a lawn mower throttle cable. The article covers all the details on how to fix a lawn mower throttle cable. It does not matter which brand mower you own. Just get the tools and fix your lawn mower in no time.
What is a Lawn Mower Throttle Cable?
A throttle cable or an accelerator cable is a metal cable that connects the throttle plate and the gas pedal. The cable functions to facilitate the opening of the throttle when either the lever gets pushed or the pedal is pressed. The throttle thus controls the power of the machine or the vehicle and if there is any damage to its cable then it will not let the engine change speed.
To put the mower back to use it is important to identify and correct the glitch with the throttle cable to control the engine speed. Once the cable functions well it controls the speed of the blade when mowing.
Reasons for the Throttle Cable to Break
A throttle cable could break because of various reasons. However, the most common reason is wear and tear. The throttle cable comes under stress and gets damaged causing breakage.
Stretching the cable leads to a delay in throttle response. This delay in response is a sign that determines if or not the cable is close to breakage and would then need repair or replacing.
Exposing the throttle cable to elements causes it to rust and weaken. The case or the cover that encloses the cable could dry causing the cable to become stuck making it difficult to move.
Regardless of what may be the reason if there is a problem with the throttle cable it will not let the engine run fast. You may then have to either fix the cable or replace it completely.
Before we guide you on how to fix the lawn mower throttle cable here is what you need to be prepared with.
- Change your clothes because your hands are bound to get dirty.
- Get the essential tools like measuring tapes, screwdrivers, wrench, and pliers.
- If you wish to adjust the old cable then you need measuring tools, wire cutters, and a Z-bending tool.
How to Fix a Lawn Mower Throttle Cable: Step-by-step Guide
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to fix the throttle cable.
- Step 1: You need a 7-inch and #16 wire size aluminum cable. Bend it into a half. Since it is made of aluminum it should not be a trouble to turn it. After you bend it, flatten the cable using a pair of pliers. You may flatten it further using a wire flattening device.
- Step 2: After the wire is flattened hold it in an upright position using a flattener and twist the upper wire a few times. The wire should not break. Next, reproduce the original cables Z-bend on the top of the twisted wire using pliers to get a 90-degree angle.
- Step 3: Now that the twisted wire has been bent to a Z-shape you need to snip off one aluminum wire at the bottom. After you snip it off at one end place the original cable on a table and then keep the new wire that is bent below it. The placement should be such that both the wires have the other Z-tip kept parallel to one another. This will let you trace exactly where you need to cut the original cable.
- Step 4: You will need an aluminum crimp or a wire union device. Just go ahead and insert the original cable into one of the holes of the union device, put the z-bend of the twisted wire through the other hole, and tighten the device. Ensure that both the cables are placed securely. A flattening device or a hammer helps in tightening. Once done, the Z-bend tip of the throttle cable that was broken is repaired successfully.
Adjusting the Lawn Mower Throttle Cable
- Remove the cable housing on the mower handle to take the throttle cable off. You can use a pair of pliers to remove the housing. Or you may unscrew using a screwdriver.
- Removing the housing runs down the cable base. This can be detached completely from the cable by separating the cable and the throttle arm that is found in the engine.
- As per the lawn mower’s design, it is possible that there may be no holes for a cable or the holes may not be high enough to insert a new cable. If this is the case then just drill a hole in the position that seems comfortable and fasten the cable. Place the new cable on the handle and weave the wire in the housing. The cable wire should run down through the mower’s handle and the base and arm of the throttle.
- Measure the cable length that you need and add a little extra as a precaution. This little extra will let the wire stay loose in case you need to fold the mower handle. Remove the cable cover at the end of the cable to get access to enough wire length to form the z-bend. It should be done with care as the wire could get cut with the covering. Once the wire gets exposed with a plier or a z-blender from the z-blend.
- Fasten the cable to the throttles handle. It can be done by passing the cable first through the housing and then passing it into the handle. If the cable is not tight, put the throttle down and use pliers to pull it tighter. Twist the screw that locks it and replace the housing.
- Turn the mower on to see if it now works fine. If you notice that the mower is running very high when in an idle state, loosen the cable. It can be done by twisting the lock screw. Let more cable length pass through before you go ahead and tighten the screw. Test the throttle cable that you have adjusted and see if the working has improved.
Cleaning the Throttle Cable Arm
The cable might be unable to move because of grime or dirt that has collected on it and is stopping it from moving. If the arm is rusted then you will have to replace it. Else here is what to do.
- Disconnect the throttle cable by loosening the bracket to not let the tip get in the way. Insert the cable to spot any fraying or rust which is a sign that the cable is in a bad condition.
- Put some penetrating oil on the arm and let it sit for some time before you wipe it off. Use a lubricant and spray it on the arm. This will ensure that the arm does not get stuck again.
- To reconnect the cable, hook back the top onto the arm and then tighten the bracket.
There are a few cautions that you should bear before and after you carry out the repair work.
- Always wear protective rubber gloves that will save you from injury.
- Unplug the spark plug to save you from a shock.
- When you fasten the cable to the handle of the mower do not screw it very tight as this will prevent the lever from working freely.
Tips and Tricks to Repair the Lawn Mower Throttle Cable
A single error can prove to be costly. Here are a few tricks to make the job seamless for you.
- Practice cutting. If you need to remove just a section of the wire, then you need to be careful. The cable inside is wound in the form of a screw and you need to be careful to cut the covering and nothing beyond it. It is wise to practice on an old cable first.
- While working on the mower it pays to take some time out to clean any junk from the motor. This will ensure that your machine stays in good and working condition.
If you use your lawn mower frequently then the throttle cable would break or need adjustments from time to time. You cannot escape this. When the throttle cable breaks you can call on an expert or get down on your knees and fix it yourself.
Learning how to repair the lawn mower throttle cable saves you from racking up a hefty bill and from days of waiting. This article covers all the details of how to repair and adjust the throttle cable. With these fixes, you can get your lawn mower up and running in no time.
Now that your lawn mower throttle cable is repaired, also read lawn mowing tips to get a perfectly manicured yard.