Low pressure in a garden hose can make watering lawn and garden areas very time-consuming and intimidating. Improving water pressure in your garden hose makes watering chores easier. It also allows the water to reach further thus allowing effective watering. Consequently, your gardening life becomes better and funnier.
Luckily, increasing water pressure in a garden hose is usually simple. As you’ll discover, low-pressure issues usually come from the hose itself. Also, the problem could be with the spigot or even the home water pressure. This article will give you detailed instructions on how to increase water pressure in your garden hose depending on where the underlying problem is.
A pressure reduction valve (PRV) on your main water source near the water meter regulates the flow of water into your residence. To raise the pressure, use a wrench to spin the PRV’s bolt clockwise. Proceed in quarter-turn increments before rechecking the pressure. If this doesn’t work check the leaks, twisted/kinks, blockage in hose. You can also install a high-pressure nozzle to solve the issue.
How to Increase Garden Hose Pressure?
This is probably the very first question that pops up when the thought of increasing water pressure in garden hose comes knocking. Well, start by checking and fixing any problems with your hose. Here is how you do it:
1. Look for any leaks
Sadly, leaks are the most common causes of low pressure in a garden hose. To examine for any leaks on your hose, start by laying it flat on the ground. Turn on the water and move along the hose to check if any water is escaping from any points. You might need to bring your eyes down to the ground to be able to detect these leaks as they can be very small. If you come across any leak, repair it using a rubber patching kit.
2. Check whether the garden hose is correctly linked to the spigot and nozzle
If your hose is not fully-connected, this can cause a drop in hose water pressure. Once you sight any leaks, fasten the connection to fix the issue. If there are other connections that your garden hose is linked to, e.g. a splitter, ensure they are secure.
3. Ensure the hose is not kinked/ twisted
You can easily detect this if you were in the process of watering your garden or lawn and then the water pressure drops. The drop in water pressure in garden hose means the hose could have kinked. Walk along the hose and look for any twisted points. Straighten the hose and you’ll be good to go. In case your hose is rolled up on a garden hose reel, check it as well and fix the twist up.
4. Ensure there is no Dirt and Blockages in your Garden Hose
Dirt inside the hose is another major cause of low water in pressure in a garden hose. To remove the dirt, you need to clean it using either bleach or vinegar. We recommend that you carrying out garden hose cleaning at least once per year especially at the onset of spring.
If there are no issues on your hose, it could be that your pressure from the water main is very low. In such a case, here is how you proceed with increasing water pressure in garden hose.
5. Check the Pressure at your Main Supply
Identify the main water supply for your home and turn off faucets and any other water consuming appliances in your home. Connect a ¾ water pressure gauge onto the nozzle of the main water supply and twist the nozzle counterclockwise. If the main water supply doesn’t have a nozzle, attach the pressure gauge on the nearest faucet.
Take the readings of the pressure gauge. Ideal water pressure ranges anywhere between 45 and 55 psi. Normal pressure is 40-60 psi. Anything around 70 psi will likely damage your gardening appliances. If the water pressure gauge registers anything below ideal (45) psi, it means your home water supply could be the main cause of low pressure in your garden hose. Low and normal water pressure can be improved as follows:
- Increasing low home water pressure: This is an important thing to do if you find out that your home water pressure is below 45 psi. On the main water supply, you’ll find a water pressure regulator. This is the one that normally control the water flow into your home.
Using a wrench, turn the water pressure regulator’s bolt clockwise to increase the water pressure. If your PRV has a screw in place of bolts, use a screwdriver. Do quarter-turn-increments while rechecking the water pressure and stop once the pressure up the required level. Do not surpass the 70 psi. Garden hoses and most of garden accessories can’t handle that pressure and they could burst.
- Install a high-powered nozzle: If your home water pressure is normal, i.e. 40-60 psi, you can boost the water pressure in your garden hose by:
- Installing a water pressure booster: This is an easy quick fix. They are fire hose styled with a thin, long tube that helps concentrate the water and increase pressure. Different types of these boosters are available in garden stores or online.
Caution: Install the water pressure booster for appropriate tasks. Don’t install when watering delicate plants, it could damage them.
6. Connect your garden hose to a water pressure pump to increase the pressure
Connect the end of your garden hose into a water pressure pump. Connect the pump to an outlet and use the hose linked to the pump for a stronger stream.
Caution: Use the pump for large jobs like spraying long distances.
Major Causes of Low Water Pressure in the Garden Hose
- Demand for water. Mornings and evenings are more likely to result in low water pressure due to the high demand for water during that time.
- Check your garden faucet. If it’s only the garden hose GPM that has low pressure while the pressure of outlets inside the house is sufficient, chances are there is a slight blockage of the garden tap of the pipes leading to it.
- Improper adjustment of the water pressure regulator.
- Kinked or leaking hoses.
- Incomplete turn-on of the main water supply valve.
- Poor connection at faucet.
- Inappropriate diameter of your garden hose. The larger the inner diameter, the greater the water pressure in your garden hose. For home purposes such as watering and washing, we would recommend a garden hose with ½ or 5/8 inches inner diameter.
Water Pressure Booster for Garden Hose
Here are some of the best water pressure booster for your garden hose:
#1. Water Diaphragm Self Priming Pump 3.0 Gallons
The SEAFLO 33-Series diaphragm vacuum pumps and compressors for boats and RVs have a great size-to-performance ratio. There are several product lines in the overall portfolio. And a leak-tight air path and long-term performance round out the picture. Flow rates range from 530 milliliters per minute (0.018 cubic feet per minute) to 90 liters per minute (3.2 cfm). It pressures up to 3 bar (43.5 psi), and vacuum levels up to -990 mbar are covered by the pneumatic performance (29.2 in.Hg). Various motor options are available to meet the needs of long-term use.
The SEAFLO Submersible non-automatic bilge pump line is used to remove bilge water and is controlled by a panel or a float switch. They’re all equipped with Anti-Airlock technology and moisture-tight seals, as well as marine-grade blocked wiring. You’ll have no trouble switching to SEAFLO because the strainer base is removable and fits industry standard mounting conventions.
- Up to 90 l/min of free flow (3.2 cfm)
- Up to 3.0 bar of maximum pressure (43.5 psi)
- Up to 1 mbar abs maximum vacuum (29.2 in Hg)
- AC or brushless DC, single or dual head
- EPDM, FKM, FFKM, or PTFE are examples of elastomers.
- The Ease of Using: This pump has industry-standard fittings, wiring, and a mounting base, so it can be used to replace comparable pumps.
- Outperforms the Competition: A heavy-duty motor drives the three-chamber high-volume design, which produces flow rates of 3.0 GPM and 45 PSI. It can self-prime up to 6 vertical feet and run dry, making it a clear leader in terms of cost to performance.
- Pumps for Drainage: The right alternative for washing boats, fish boxes, anchor wells, rowboats, and other related applications is SEAFLO’s washdown kits. The pump, which has a capacity of 3 to 5 GPM and an on-demand switch, automatically turns on when you wiggle the water jet handle.
Our fuel hydraulic pumps and compressors are engineered to continuously meet customer needs and quality standards. Diaphragm technology is a highly efficient and reliable way to get the job done, whether it’s transferring air or gas from point A to point B or meeting a precise working point. SEAFLO 33-Series diaphragm pumps are the first choice for medical and environmental industries, among others, due to their dependable results, compact size, and effective performance.
Pros and Cons
- Low power consumption for reduced energy invest
- Low sound level for workplace comfort
- Service free operation for continuous work cycles
- The machine is heavy in weight
- Not for small uses
#2. SEAFLO 33-Series Industrial Water Pressure Pump
Our 33-Series on-demand differential pressure pump is designed for general-purpose applications. It performs well in applications with high water flow and moderate pressure. This 3-chamber diaphragm pump can pump up to 3.3 gallons per minute and can self-prime up to 9 vertical feet. It can also run dry without causing damage. For convenience, a plug for any standard US wall outlet is included. The built-in pressure switch on this automatic demand water system pump allows it to start and stop when the faucet is opened and closed. They’re simple to set up, maintain, and winterize.
The SEAFLO Submersible quasi bilge pump line is used to remove bilge water and is controlled by a panel or a float switch. They’re all equipped with Anti-Airlock technology and moisture-tight seals, as well as marine-grade blocked wiring. You’ll have no trouble switching to SEAFLO because the strainer base is removable and fits industry standard mounting conventions.
- 115VAC is the voltage.
- 3.3 GPM Flow Capacity
- PSI Limit: 45 PSI
- 6 FT Amp Self-Priming 0.75 A draw (MAX 1.2 A)
- Viton valves
- Santoprene is used in the diaphragm.
- 1/2″ Threaded MNPT inlet/outlet
- Pressure Switch with Intelligence: When the faucet is opened, the pump automatically starts supplying water. When the faucet is closed, the pump will turn off automatically. Use water as you would at home!
- Capabilities to Run in the Dry: You’ll never have to worry about your pump being damaged during installation or maintenance due to a lack of water because it’s run dry. Lifts up to 9 feet, allowing for simple self-priming during installation and use.
- Operation in Silence: While running, the rubber mounting base allows for efficient and effective noise reduction. This compressor is no louder than an indoor fan, thanks to a new copper core motor.
The SEAFLO Dry Bilge System is the most cost-effective and dependable method of keeping your bilge clean and dry. The SEAFLO Dry Bilge System eliminates all standing water in your bilge or other water-holding compartments. The system can be mounted up to 25 feet away from the suction foot because it is self-priming. The system can be started manually or with the help of an easy-to-use programmable timer.
Pros and Cons
- Ease to Use
- Comparatively best
- 3-Chamber High Volume Design
- Free Accessories
- Bilge Pumps
- Not efficient
- The motor is not as powerful
#3. Trupow 1/10HP 330GPH 115-Volt Mini Portable Electric Utility Sump Transfer Water Pump
Trupow 1/10HP 330GPH Pump manufactures pumps that are 100% factory tested and built to last. Superior Pump makes use of high-quality materials such as solid copper motor windings and heavy-duty stainless steel. There are double o-ring seals on the motor plate and jacketed shaft seals Split capacitors with electronic control. Pump model with superior performance 91250, a 1/4 horsepower thermoplastic submersible utility pump with a ten-foot hose.
Water can be moved up to 34 inches with the help of a power cord and a 34-inch garden hose adapter. The flow rate is 1800 gallons per hour. A suction screen is included to filter out any unwanted particles of large debris and can easily handle solids up to 1/8-inch thick the foundation. The pump is made to fit into a standard 6-inch floor hub drain. This pump is UL/CUL listed, CSA certified, and comes with a one-year warranty. A one-year warranty is included. Will amplify to 25 ft. of vertical height.
- 115V-60Hz; 1/10HP; 330GPH maximum flow rate; 39FT maximum delivery height
- With a complete impeller replacement kit, it’s light and portable.
- Perfect For Household And Utility Applications Of Draining Waterbeds, Clogged Sinks,
- Aquariums Made Of Durable Material With Metal Hose Connectors For Higher Reliability Than Plastic Threads
- Water suction attachment removes water down to 1/8′′ and includes a 6′ hose
- Low Noise and Energy Savings: No leakage, low noise, environmental protection, and aesthetics are all advantages. Simple to use and saves energy. This increases the motor’s service life.
- Efficient Motor: To ensure efficient and stable motor operation, the coil is made entirely of copper wire. The high temperature and noise generated by the motor’s high-speed operation can be effectively solved.
- Installing and adjusting to your needs is simple: Installation is simple; all you need is a wrench to connect the pump to the pipeline, saving you money on plumbers. Simple to use and saves energy. Increase the pressure of the household water tank and maintain a steady pressure that automatically adjusts to your needs.
Trupow 1/10HP 330GPH Pump is a family-owned and operated pump company that specializes in light commercial and residential pumps. Superior Pump, based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, was founded in 1999 after years of experience in the pump industry dating back to the 1970s, as well as a plumbing background dating back to 1885 in St Paul, Minnesota. Superior Pump upholds our strong core family values by only selling the highest quality products. Superior Pump is known for producing long-lasting pumps, focusing on quality throughout the engineering, manufacturing, and testing processes. Trupow 1/10HP 330GPH Pump Built to Last! Quality products, strong warranties, and excellent USA-based customer service.
Pros and Cons
- Great Performance
- Value for Money
- Sleek Design
- Please keep in mind that any manufacturer warranty may not be valid for products shipped internationally.
- It’s possible that the manufacturer’s service options aren’t available;
- It’s possible that product manuals, instructions, and safety warnings aren’t available in the target country’s language.
#4. KOLERFLO 120W Water Pressure Booster Pump 115VAC
Wall-mounted stove kolerflo hot-water pumps boost pressure and circulate hot water for boilers. The best feature of GZ is that it can directly suck tap water from one or two floors below. As a result, the problem of higher floors having no water and lower floors having it is completely resolved. Automatically adapts to your requirements Increase the pressure in the household water tank and maintain it. Boost pressure and circulate water for solar water heaters, and pressurize for water heaters.
Applicable to duplex apartments, suburban villas, pressurized water heaters, pressurized household water, and pressurized solar water heaters. Our water pressure pump is ideal for pressurizing water heater pipes when there is insufficient water pressure, preventing a cold water supply. Max Pressure: 1.5bar (21.7 PSI); Max Flow Rate: 396GPH(25L/min); Max Head: 49.2ft(15m); Connection size: 1/2″ NPT; Liquid temperature range: 0°F to +212°F The water boost pump with flow switch can automatically adjust to your needs, increasing and maintaining the pressure in your household water tank.
- H15GR-15 is a model type.
- 120W Maximum Power
- Flow Rates: 25L/min (396GPH)/13L/min (204GPH)
- 15m(49.2FT)/10m Max/Rated Head (32.8FT)
- 110-120V/60Hz Voltage/Frequency
- No Noise: The water booster pump is easy to install, requiring only a wrench to connect the pump, saving you money on plumbers; it is also energy efficient, easy to operate, and operates quietly.
- Powerful Motor: All-in-one unit with a powerful 120W motor, high-quality water flow switch, and full brass fittings, making the water booster pump durable and providing enough water pressure for home use.
- Best Pressure Pump: In this case, a KOLERFLO pressure booster pump was used. Suitable for city buildings, suburban villas, houses, water and pressurized with industrial equipment, air conditioning, boilers, solar circulating water, water pressure improvement, and other applications.
The water booster pump is easy to install, requiring only a wrench to connect the pump, saving you money on plumbers; it is also energy efficient, and it operates quietly. All-in-one unit with a powerful 120W motor, high-quality water flow switch, and full brass fittings to make the water booster pump durable and provide sufficient water pressure for home use. Our water boost pump comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a three-month fittings parts warranty. If you encounter any difficulties while using our products, please contact us as soon as possible, we will ensure that you are satisfied with your purchase.
Pros and Cons
- High-Quality Water Flow Switch
- Powerful Motor
- Energy Saving
- Unstable water pressure
- Motor gets heated in a short time
#5. MEDAS 330 GPH 115V 1/10HP Auto Portable Water Transfer Pump Utility Pump
The MEDAS self-priming pump is ideal for use in the home or in the workplace—whether draining an aquarium, filling a water container, or watering your lawn or garden; this device is ideal for any application. Even in difficult-to-reach areas, the powerful motor and adjustable PVC hose make water removal simple. When you need to remove or replace the water in a specific area, use this transfer water pump.
MEDAS water supply utility pump is ideal for aquariums, outdoor ponds, swimming pools, basement leaks and flooding, flushing a tankless water heater, and other applications. It can be used for more than just utilities; it can also be used to water your lawn and garden.
- 115V/60 HZ Voltage/Frequency
- 1/10 HP rated power
- Flow Rate Maximum: 330 GPH
- 39 FT MAXIMUM HEIGHT
- 3/4 GHT discharge
- 6 FT coiled cable
- Max Flow Rate: 330 GPH
- Max Head: 44 Feet
- Max Suction Lift: 6 Feet
Pros and Cons
- Transfer Pump
- Easy To handle
- Practical Filter
- High Durability
- Expensive compared to similar products
Wrapping it up
Gardening is a rewarding job, isn’t it? Whether you’re gardening for a pay or not. Don’t let your plants perish because of low pressure in your garden hose. We hope you’ve found this write-up informative. Importantly, we hope it will solve any problem on water pressure in your garden hose. Before you result to spending money in search of professional help, consider the tips above on how to increase water pressure in garden hose and see if you can figure it out.
Do you have any concern or questions? Please leave a comment below, we will be glad to get back and help you with your issue(s).