Is a dirty stump spoiling the look of your garden? You may want to try out the stump killers to get rid of the old tree stumps. But sifting through the plethora of options available in the market is indeed not practical.
A stump killer is essential to maintain your yard. You want to try the best one that does not end up in a nightmare killing the other vegetation around. In this article, we have carried out an in-depth analysis to help you with the best stump killer options available to help you make a seamless selection.
Best stump killer
At a Glance: Our top picks for best Stump Killer
- Tordon RTU Specialty Herbicide
- Southern Ag Brush Killer
- VPG Fertilome 32295 32Oz Brush Stump Killer
- Spectracide Stump Remover Granules
- Bonide Vine & Stump Killer
1. Tordon RTU Specialty Herbicide
The Tordon RTU Herbicide works well in the exposed or the top part of the tree trunk. The chemical seeps deeply into the stump and disperses all through the root system of the plant. Since the herbicide is a free-flowing liquid dyed in blue color, you are aware of the areas that have been tended to.
The ready-to-use chemical is effective in treating the cut surfaces and kills the unwanted tree. It does not allow undesirable sprouting in non-crop and forest areas, roadsides, and fence rows.
You do not need to mix or measure the formula, which lets you get to work done right away. The chemical can be used all through the year. Just pour the liquid into a squirt and start applying it in the affected areas.
The active ingredients in the product are Picloram 5.4%, triisopropanolamine salt 20.9%, and 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid.
- Can treat more than 20 species
- Translocate into the root system that stops it from re-sprouting
- No freeze formula keeps the product flowing
- The blue dye helps you keep track of the treated areas
- Ideal for offseason and in-season control
- Long-lasting, affordable and effective formula
- No mixing or measuring
- It should be applied immediately after the plant is cut.
- Requires a lot of chemicals and needs multiple applications.
- It prevents any new trees from growing back for a year so be careful when applying around plants and flowers that you wish to keep.
2. Southern Ag Brush Killer, Gallon
Southern Ag has 2,4-D and triclopyr as its active ingredient. The product is suitable for most plants, like perennials, annuals, vines, etc. It also kills difficult plants like poison ivy, blackberry, and creeping Charlie.
The herbicide kills the entire tree when you apply it to the stump. When used carefully, the chemical does not kill the grass nearby. The result can be seen fast, and some plants may even wilt over the night. This makes the Southern Ag pretty quickly compared to other herbicides that take more than a week to show deterioration.
Triclopyr used in the chemical is safe for plants, animals, and humans. This is why you can spray the formula without causing any damage to the grass and plants close by. The weed killer can work in dry areas like fences, walkways, and trails.
- Kills broadleaf weeds, brush, and vines
- It can be safely used on most kinds of grasses
- Acts very fast
- It does not allow sprouting on the stumps
- Triclopys is the main ingredient used
- Within few hours the application becomes rainproof
- May need more than a single application
- If you wish to get rid of grass bushes along the fence, the chemical does not work.
- The smell of the product is strong, which feels unpleasant and uncomfortable.
3. VPG Fertilome 32295 32Oz Brush Stump Killer
VPG Fertilome is highly effective in controlling the growth of unwanted woody plants. Just cut the vine and then treat it with the stump killer. The product comes in a 32-ounce bottle and lasts for a long. You can see results within 6 weeks.
The herbicide is useful not just for woody plants but also to treat any unwanted plant species in the garden. All that you need to do is to brush the chemical on the stump or spray it using a sprayer. Just paint the formula on the stump and all over the surface and wait for the stump to get killed.
The chemical does not have to be measured or mixed. Thus with no preparation needed, you can use it right away. The chemical soaks into the root and kills the entire system. It prevents any regrowth within a year.
The herbicide even kills the stumps that were cut many weeks before. The best way to use this solution is to drill holes on the top of the stump and pour the chemical into it.
- Shows results within 1 to 6 weeks
- Perfect for long-term use or in gardens where there are many stumps to kill.
- Easy to use as all you need to do is brush or spray on the top of the stump.
- No need to dilute or mix it before applying.
- Effective in controlling invasive and annoying plants.
- Kills old stumps that have been cut weeks before.
- Great quality product at a reasonable price.
- May not work on all kinds of stumps.
- No squirt nozzle, so many take extra effort to apply.
- Not recommended if you have to treat only one stump as it comes in a 32-ounce bottle.
- May need many reapplications for some tree species.
4. Spectracide Stump Remover Granules
The Spectracide Stump remover kit kills the stump by accelerating the decomposition process. The chemical breaks the stump down from the inside to the outside, making the stem porous and easy to deteriorate.
The stump killer comes in a 16-ounce container and an applicator that makes it easy to apply the chemical on the stump. The quantity is sufficient to kill one large stump or many small stumps. You do not need any preparation or mixing. Just pour the granules into the stump holes that you have pre-drilled. Add some hot water and wait to see the results.
The best part about the Spectracide Stump Remover is that it can be used safely around grass, plants, and other vegetation. You will need a brush-killing agent to treat the stump before you use the remover. The added cost should not be a concern considering that the chemical is already so cheap.
The product will show results in a few weeks. At times it could even take a few months. The nozzle that is included with the bottle lets you squeeze the chemical precisely into the drilled holes.
Spectracide stump remover is an amazing choice that makes the stump rot easy to remove in the future. The product focuses on the stump only, so you can rest assured that it will not spoil the plant and grass surrounding it.
- It helps to decompose the stumps
- Easy to apply since no mixing needed
- User-friendly product
- It does not kill the vegetation that surrounds it
- Not expensive. Sold at an affordable price
- The product does not have an uncomfortable or strong smell
- You need to combine it with a brush killer
- Takes time to work
- You will need to drill holes in the stump and add hot water
5. Bonide Vine & Stump Killer
Concentrated vine and stump killer, Bronide comes in an 8-ounce package. It kills the targeted stump or vine without harming the plants nearby. It is economical and does not let the stump re-sprout after it is cut.
The stump killer obliterates the stump of the tree gently without harming the desirable plants around the site. It has a brush top to apply the herbicide that seeps into the stump’s base and kills the stump from inside out. The application is accurate and easy when you use the brush top.
The solution is effective and affordable and prevents the regrowth of tree sprouts. It works well when applied on a freshly cut stump. The chemical has to be applied to the inner area of the tree stump that has been exposed.
The value for money product kills vines, stumps, and broadleaf weeds. The active ingredient in this chemical is the Triclopyr that soaks up in the roots and kills the system entirely. It prevents any re-sprout that makes the process of removal easy.
Bronide Vine and Stump Killerdoes a fantastic job but takes time to show results. So stay patient, and you will be happy with the work done.
- It kills the stump from the root without yellowing or harming the plants nearby.
- The potent solution is highly affordable
- Prevents any sprout or regrowth
- It comes with an applicator that allows precise placement
- Attacks the roots which offer long-lasting effect
- A reputed brand manufactures the product
- If the project is long, then the result will take time
- The brush is small in size, so application is slow
- Reapplication may be required frequently
Things to Consider Before Buying Stump Killer or Remover
What are the important factors to consider when deciding on buying the best stump killer? Let us help you out with the same.
Buy a product that works only on the stump, especially if this is your first time. There are many toxic stump killers, but these are best left to those who have used stump killers before. For the newbies, buy a safe stump killer, follow all the instructions in the manual, wear gloves and protective gear and keep the chemical away from pets and children.
The efficiency of the chemical is a key thing to consider. While all the herbicides may seem effective, they may not be so. Review every product to be sure of the effectiveness of the stump killer.
The stump killer should be easy to use and maintain, which is a major differentiating factor between high quality and a substandard solution.
The price range of the stump killers is varied. Some are expensive, while others are affordable. You should choose the option that falls within your budget. The idea is to ensure that the stump killer is within your price range and offers quality service.
The degree of killing the stump will decide the type of stump killer that you should purchase.
Size of the stump
If the stump is large, you need to consider the amount of product you have to buy and the price associated with it. Understand the ingredients and their percentage that make up the solution formula. If the stump is small, then you want a product that does not let the roots re-sprout else, the removal gets difficult
It takes time and patience to kill a stump. Depending on the method and the stump’s size, it could take months for the stump to die. If you have time, the products that need you to drill holes and use granules are an ideal option. Else choose the herbicide chemicals to make the process faster.
Location of the stump
Location is a key factor when you are considering which stump killer to purchase. If your stump is located close to your neighbors’ garden, you do not want the solution to seep in and kill your neighbors’ tree.
If the area is tight with other vegetation around it, then a stump killer that you can directly apply for works the best. A spray is ideal if you have a large area to treat and there is no vegetation around it that you may want to save.
Also, look to buy products that are safe for the surrounding. These are less toxic but take longer to work.
Method of application
There are various application methods, and the buyer has to decide based on what his needs are. If the product is toxic, then brush on products are the best. These work fast but also kill other plants.
On the other hand, when the granules are placed in the drilled holes, they are not toxic for the environment but take long to show any result. Some products need pre-preparation, like mixing and spraying the contents.
You have a well-manicured lawn with trimmed hedges, but that stubborn stump out there needs to be immediately got rid of. We have listed some products for you that will take care of this problem removing the gnarly stump entirely out from the picture.
Your tree is down, but what should you do with the stump? Felling a tree has some additional costs attached to it to remove the tree and then remove the dead stump.
A stump grinder will cost you hundreds of dollars, but you also have a cheaper and better solution out there- The stump killer. These are chemical-based products that speed the process of the decaying stump. It allows chopping, ripping, or burning of the stump quickly.
But with so many options available in the market, it pays to research well to consider the right product for the job. Every product will meet a specific need, and your task is to figure out your final goal and how the product aims to achieve it.
You wish to buy an effective, fast-acting, inexpensive product and does not kill the plants close by. Or you may want to choose an environmentally friendly option that takes time to show results. There are ample choices out there, and knowing what you want can help you narrow down the options better.